GenreEnterprise TrainingPlatformVirtual RealityRoleLead, Planning, Networking, Development, UX, AnalyticsYear2022

A virtual classroom for teaching part identification on new electric forklift models. The user is able to select single player courses with narrations, or join a live class hosted by an instructor. The course covers the initial PPEs, removing the external covers, and identifying components. There's a final evaluation course where the user performs the steps without guides and their results are uploaded to the cloud. Watch the video below to see it in action!

Insights & Highlights

I’m happy with the way everything came together in the end. There were many times I play tested and felt small details that caused unnecessary friction. Being true to life is not effective nor necessary to replicate in VR. I spent a lot of time considering what real life processes were important to include. Certain things like needing to get down to the ground to view a component or perform an unscrewing action several times for every bolt (I improved these by raising the forklift on a pedestal, and making the unscrewing action an animation instead).

In the end, I believe a virtual classroom benefited more from maximizing immersion and focusing on the connection between the trainer, student, and forklift. The greatest strength of virtual reality here is it cuts down on training costs and can be done remotely. Any friction I can remove from this process, makes the entire experience smoother and enjoyable, allowing for better training and knowledge retention.

Issues & Challenges

As the technical lead on this project, I focused on networking and making sure the game design had as few potential issues as possible. There were so many different states and differences between courses, that anything left unaccounted could have been a major headache down the line.

A recurring fear of mine was working simultaneously with my team and breaking things. The networking was incomplete but under the timeline, I needed my developers to immediately start implementing gameplay. I wasn’t sure how much networking would change their work. Thankfully, the components we used from the SDK were well designed and completely modular (I designed them 😉). My juniors never needed to touch networking and could focus on creating interactions and procedures normally, whereas I could add networking to interactions and procedures without disturbing their work.